10 Dead Guys You Should Know: Standing on the Shoulders of Giants (Biography) by Ian Maddock
Ten fascinating bite–sized biographies of the Christians people expect you to know.
While Christians have always prized the Bible as our ultimate authority in matters of faith and practice, we also recognize that the Christian life is an intergenerational and communal activity. This collection of ten short biographies will introduce you to Christians from a variety of places and times, who all boldly preached the gospel, despite the risk to personal reputations and safety. How short–sighted it would be not to glean insights from our ancestors, whether that entails learning how to walk in their steps – or else avoiding their missteps.
Written by Ian Maddock, Rachel Ciano and Stuart Colton, who all teach church history and edited by Ian Maddock. Each chapter has suggested further reading, and additional suggestions ‘for the adventurous’.
1. Athanasius: Against the World
2. Augustine: The Grace of God Defeated Me
3. Anselm: Faith Seeking Understanding
4. Martin Luther: Here I Stand
5. Thomas Cranmer: Lord Jesus, Receive My Spirit
6. Richard Baxter: Keep These Hearts Above
7. John Wesley: A Brand Plucked from the Burning
8. Hudson Taylor: These I Must Bring Also
9. Spurgeon: Preaching, Prayer and Perseverance
10. Dietrich Bonhoeffer: The Cost of Discipleship
This book is ideal for anyone wanting a biref, entertaing and illuminating overview of the lives and beliefs of these ten giants of Christian history.